- 56.1% who have experienced sexual violence
- 55.5% who have experienced physical violence by an intimate partner
- 48.4% who have experienced stalking.
These are not just statistics. These are our mothers, sisters, and daughters. Our communities are experiencing an imbalance and space is needed to heal and honor the beauty of her resiliency. This is why the Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women (CSVANW) began our #IWillRunForHer event in 2016. It is a way for our community to come together and dedicate a run to those affected by domestic violence and sexual violence. CSVANW holds space every October in conjunction with Domestic Violence Awareness Month to promote healing and wellness through running.
This event is free to the public.
What is the #IWillRunForHer Virtual Run?
CSVANW believes in access and inclusion and we want you to participate even if you cannot make it to the event. This year we are proud to announce the #IWillRunForHer Virtual Run. You get to choose the starting line where ever you are. Run, jog, or walk at your own pace and on your own terms. The purpose of this #IWillRunForHer Virtual Run is to stand in solidarity where ever you are. So join us and dedicate your run, jog, or walk to those affected by domestic violence and sexual violence in our families and communities.
How to participate?
You don’t have to register. All you have to do is stretch and run, jog, or walk on Saturday, October 12, 2019. Run, jog, or walk at your own pace and go as far as you want. You can do this by yourself, with friend(s), family, pets or with an organization.
All that we ask of ya’ll:
- Wear something purple (ex: shirt, ribbon, cap, etc.). The color purple is a symbol for survivors of domestic violence to reclaim their power;
- Snap a picture of your run, jog, or walk on your social media platform and tell us who you are dedicating your run, jog, or walk to;
- Optional: Print out the “I dedicate my run, jog, or walk to/for ______” selfie card, write a response and post it on your social media platform;
- Use hashtags #IWillRunForHer #DVAM #CSVANW; and
- Be sure you tag us @csvanw (Instagram), @CoalitionToStopViolenceAgainstNativeWomen (Facebook), and @CSVANW (Twitter) and we will reshare your post.
- The top 5 liked participant posts will receive a race day shirt…so share often!