- 56.1% who have experienced sexual violence
- 55.5% who have experienced physical violence by an intimate partner
- 48.4% who have experienced stalking.
These are not just statistics. These are our mothers, sisters, and daughters. Our communities are experiencing an imbalance and space is needed to heal and honor the beauty of our communities resiliency.
This is why CSVANW began our #IWillRunForHer event in 2016 in conjunction with Domestic Violence Awareness Month to promote healing and wellness through running. The action of running has long been a means of prayer for our communities as well as form of resistance to violence.
It is a way for our communities to come together. We will dedicate our runs/walks to those affected by domestic violence and sexual violence.
What is the I Will Run for Her Virtual Run?
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and CSVANW is hosting our annual I Will Run for Her 5k Community Run/Walk &1k Kid Awareness Run to honor the resilience, strength and spirit of our Native women and children. In efforts to support the health of our communities during the COVID-19 pandemic we will going virtual this year. Participants will have two days (October 25-26) to complete a 5K run, jog or walk in their home community connecting with the land that cares for them.
How to participate?
If you missed registration or you’re just now learning about this virtual run, you can still participate and dedicate your run for our I Will Run for Her virtual run.
You get to choose the starting line wherever you are. So do some stretches and run, jog, or walk on Sunday, October 25, 2020 & Monday, October 26, 2020. Run, jog, or walk at your own pace and go as far as you want. You can do this by yourself, with friend(s), family, pets or with an organization.
All that we ask of ya’ll:
- Wear the “I Will Run for Her Virtual Run 2020” t-shirt or something purple (ex: shirt, ribbon, cap, etc.). The color purple is a symbol for survivors of domestic violence to reclaim their power;
- Snap a picture of your run, jog, or walk on your social media platform and tell us who you are dedicating your run, jog, or walk to;
- Fill out the “I dedicate my run, jog, or walk to/for ______” selfie card, write a response and post it on your social media platform;
- Use hashtags #IWillRunForHer #DVAM #WeSeeYou; and
- Be sure you tag us @csvanw (Instagram), @CoalitionToStopViolenceAgainstNativeWomen (Facebook), and @CSVANW (Twitter) and we will reshare your post.