Joleen Nez, Diné mother murdered in Bernalillo County Metropolitian Detention Center on January 30, 2021. Joleen Nez was cited and taken into MDC for a petty misdemeanor of litterling by APD Officer Preston Panana. Joleen was placed under medical watch while in MDC and was later found dead. Assistant District Attorney Pilar A Borneo filed to dismiss the case without thorough investigation.
CSVANW demands a full investigation and accountability of APD and MDC personnel who were involved in over policing practices.
CSVANW justice for Joleen Nez, and demand the following:
- Transparency from the Albuquerque Police Department and the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Detention Center about circumstances that led to Joleen Nez’s death
- A full investigation regarding Joleen’s manner of death from MDC and the prosecutor Pilar A. Borneo
- APD officers involved be/ terminated, with cancelation of pension, administrative leave, or any benefits
- MDC staff responsible for Joleen’s care be held responsible for her death pending a thorough investigation
- Accountability, over-sight and professionalization of APD and MDC personnel who are involved in over-policing practices
- Justice for Joleen Nez.
How to demand justice for Joleen Nez
Read our CSVANW Executive Director’s letter to NM Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham
Read and share our Press Release
“Hello – my name is ______________. I am calling to urge (Governor MLG, Attorney General Hector Balderas, District Attorney Rául Torrez, Secretary of Indian Affairs Lynn Trujillo, County Manager of Bernalillo County Julie Morgas Baca, Chief of MDC Greg Richardson, Chair of the Racial Justice Committee, ABQ Equity and Inclusion Chair)
to call for a full thorough investigation and transparency that led to the murder of Joleen Nez, mother, sister, relative and citizen of the Navajo Nation. Joleen Nez was cited and taken into Metropolitain Detention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico for a petty misdemeanor of littering by APD Officer Preston Panana. The Albuquerque Police Department has a long history of over policing and must be accountable for the safety of the community of Albuquerque. Joleen was placed under medical watch while in MDC and was later found dead. Assistant District Attorney Pilar Borneo filed to dismiss the case without a thorough investigation.
I am asking for your support to hold the healthcare providers in MDC, APD Officers, and the Assistant District Attorney, who were all ultimately responsible for the care of Joleen Nez to be terminated with cancelation of pensions, administrative leave or any benefits.
Thank you & Justice for Joleen Nez.”
District Attorney Rául Torrez
Chair of the Racial Justice Committee of NM State
Chief of MDC Greg Richardson
#: 505 839 8700